The Twisted Minds of Aimee and Angie

We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us something is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the human spirit. - EE Cummings

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Aimee's Entry - Thank You!

Evan... I quite simply adore you. Seriously. I already said this but I think you're amazing. Thank you baby.

g_c... I am a survivor… far more than you know. Thank you for reminding me of that. Your sunshine? That's the sweetest thing anyone has said to me in God, I don't know how long, thank you. Te quiero también... con todo mi corazón.

Castor... My relationship with my mother is lovely, she's my mother as well as my best friend. And although I rarely follow her advice (much to her dismay) until it's too late, I do respect her opinion and her advice immensely. I hope you have a great weekend too.

As for the swelling, well, it's still here as big and puffy as yesterday. I’m still in pain and I'm still grouchy. My mother is still riding my ass and still spouting off things like blood clots and pulmonary embolisms but I promised I would take care of it first thing Monday morning. And I will.

I don't openly talk about my medical problems very often, of course, if someone asks me about them, I'm more than happy to tell all (my doctor once told me that discussing my illness was a good way to get past my hang-ups about it and it educates those who don't understand). Plus, I have nothing to hide, I'm not ashamed of what I have, it's just that I don't like to push a lot of medical bullshit off on people who could really care less about it. But I'm going to talk about it now. If you care then keep reading, if not then feel free to tune out here.

When I was 22, I started having some serious problems with my health. I'd always had problems but nothing that severe, you know? It was scary but in my typical "fuck-it" attitude, I just shrugged it all off but unfortunately, it didn't go away, it only got worse. My wake-up call came one night on the way home from work. I worked for Publix and they decided to send me home because they didn't see any point in keeping me there when I was darting off to the bathroom every 5 minutes. On the way home I had to pull over on the side of the road, it was fucking awful, I was so weak I couldn't get out of the car so I just sort of hung my upper body out of the door while I vomited. I had another 25 minutes of driving before I made it home but my parents lived about 5 minutes from where I was so I decided to go there. They weren't home so I was just going to lay down on the porch and wait for them. I was numb from head to toe and it was freaking me out. I got out of the car and started walking toward the house, I was halfway up the driveway when I went down. And that's where my Uncle found me when he came home, passed out, my upper body on the lawn and my legs in the driveway. He carried me inside and waited for my parents to come home.

It was time to get serious. There was something wrong with me and my "fuck-it" attitude wasn't going to fly anymore.

I won't lie and say the next few months were a walk in the park, they weren't. They were miserable. I was tested for everything from a thyroid problem to Crohns Disease and they found nothing. I had a slew of blood tests, numerous intrusive and uncomfortable examinations, an Upper GI, a Lower GI, an Endoscopy and a Colonoscopy. After the last test (Colonoscopy) my gastroenterologist was baffled, he didn't know what the hell was wrong with me. My upper and lower GI track was covered with polyps (they were benign) and he told my mother, "I don't know? I've never seen anything like it. I'm not sure what to do."

Do you know how awful that is? To know that there is something wrong with you and nobody can figure out what it is. You're left in some kind of torturous limbo... Will they ever figure it out? Is it serious? Am I going to die?

I was a fucking wreck.

But the man was vigilant, he wasn't going to give up without a fight. There was something wrong with me and he was damn well going to find out what it was. So, he went to the Pathologist (bless the man) and told him my sorry tale. The Pathologist studied my blood tests and he noticed an abnormality. My T-cells were too high. They were way above normal level. Dr. P. told us the Pathologist shook his head and said, "You need to test her B lymphocytes, she has an immune deficiency." -
A what? What the fuck is an immune deficiency? And after all these hellacious tests how the hell could he tell that by looking at some damn blood test? I wasn't convinced.

But the man was absolutely correct. I have an immune deficiency called Hypogammaglobulinemia (tongue twister), doctors typically refer to it as CVID (common variable immune deficiency) or just CVI (common variable immunodeficiency).

Let me tell you, I wasn't happy about it. At all. I rebelled something fierce. I became moody and withdrawn. I refused to accept it as my reality and my parents finally forced me into counseling. It didn't help. Fuck her, fuck this disease, fuck it all. I was a very bitter woman and harder than hell to deal with. But I came around. What choice did I have?

There is no cure for CVID but it is treatable. I have to have intravenous immunoglobulin therapy. It's miserable. I fucking hate it with a passion I couldn't possibly describe. It's long (about 4 hours), painful and you feel like hell for days after it's done. I have to be pre-medicated before the infusions because I have a nasty reaction and that shit knocks me into a drug induced coma that's harder than hell to come out of, I lose a couple days every time I have an infusion. I have an infusion every three weeks.

As I said, I came around. I've fully accepted that this thing is a part of my life now and if I don't take it seriously, it could kill me and that's not an option because I have a little boy who loves me and depends on me, I can't let him down.

The only thing that I still have trouble accepting is what it might mean for that little boy who loves and depends on me. When they first told me that I have this, they said it wasn't hereditary but we've recently learned that more testing has shown that it is hereditary. Not all children who's parents have CVID get the disease but some of them do. I've tried not to think about the possibility of Cameron having to go through the same nightmare that I do but my immunologist told me that it's time I bring him in so he can get tested.

I've accepted that this is a part of my life but I wonder how the hell I'll be able to live with myself if he has to accept it as a part of his?

6 Comments:

At Sun Jul 10, 12:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading through this, all I could think was "what a freaking nightmare!" and all that was nothing 'til you brought in Cameron. My own greratest fear is leaving my kids without a daddy, so I can relate a *little*. Not only are you a strong, beautiful and amazing woman, but you show you're a fantastic mom as well.

And I'm going to hold confidence that Cameron will grow up perfectly hale and hearty.

 
At Sun Jul 10, 11:09:00 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Oh Evan, if I could hug you right now, I would. You've gone and made me misty (in a good way).

Thank you so much for your kind words, they mean a lot coming from you.

Love,
Aimee

 
At Mon Jul 11, 12:44:00 PM, Blogger grave_creek said...

sometimes life sucks....you ask yourself why is it that bad things happen to good people...why didnt this happen to someone who deserved it..some kind of child molester or something......i know that there is no way that i can understand or feel the pain in which you go daily,but you know that no matter how bitchy you may become when you are feeling bad or when you just wanna give up this whole bloody medication ordeal, that im right behind you,pushing you and dragging you if must, for i know that nothing and i mean NOTHING will stop you to continue on the road of life!!

 
At Mon Jul 11, 03:24:00 PM, Blogger Angie said...

g_c... Thank you SO much for that. You know, I told Angie today after my doctors appt. that if I didn't love Cameron so much, I'd just lay down and let the Lord do with me what he will because I'm so tired. But that's not the attitude I need to take and Angie very lovingly enforced that point. I'm a fighter dammit, this thing hasn't beat me yet and come hell or high water, I'm not going to let it beat me now. Your support helps more than you know.

Xo,
Aimee

And Evan, I know I answered your comment already but I just reread it and it was exactly what I needed today. I love you.

P.S. I'm feeling free with the 'love' word lately so nobody panic.

 
At Fri Dec 30, 03:07:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi~
I was diagnosed with CVID/PID/ Hypogammaglobulanemia when I was 21- right after having my oldest daughter ( something about fetal cells may have triggered it???) Anyway, I know how it goes. Always sick, always getting peak/trough levels and infusions. After I infuse ( every 28 days) I feel crappy for that day, and I also have to be pre-treated because ifthe formulation of whateve brand I get has too high of IgA traces in it, I have BAD reactions, so I get this weird Benedryl/Prednisone prep that just throws me through a loop. I generally feel better the few days afterward, but then it seems to really screw with my joints.
I will spare you all the CRAZY details of how and what it took for my diagnosis, but it was not
pretty, I almost died and they tried to call it everythign from AIDS to Cat Scratch Disease to Hepatitis! Totally crazy...
I used to be on the IDF message boards a few years ago, now I just don't have time, I have 3 kids and try to work full time, so I am pretty busy.
I just stumbled across this and thought I would reply, I am all new to this sort of thing-
My email is debra.oliverson@cox.com

 
At Fri Dec 30, 08:38:00 AM, Blogger Angie said...

Deb,

Thank you for responding and also for sharing your experiences with CVID. It is a rather tiring and somewhat baffling disease.

I copied your e-mail address and as soon as I get a minute, I'll say hello.

Aimee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home