The Twisted Minds of Aimee and Angie

We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us something is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the human spirit. - EE Cummings

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Aimee's Entry - Maybe I'm Too Liberal...

Through the loopy rigmarole of everyday life, I find myself privy to a lot of varied conversations between people and when I actually listen, it never fails that some of these conversations always leave me pondering certain aspects of them. So, here's what I'm pondering today. Oh, just so you can't say I didn't warn you, I will undoubtedly end up back atop my soapbox once more. I know that I spend a lot of time there but, Christ, when I actually pay attention to some things people say, it gets under my skin. And my language will most likely be deplorable - sorry.

1. Why does society and just people in general feel the need to issue labels where certain people are concerned? I mean seriously, why must we stereotype people based on what we "think" we know about them? We don't "really" know them and, 9 out of 10 times, what you see on the surface isn't always what you get. Just because Susie Q likes to flirt, that does NOT make her a whore for fuck's sake. Ya know, it brings to mind that old saying, "Don't judge a book by it's cover."

2. Why would any woman want to be labeled a 'God-Fearing Woman'? Now, don't get me wrong here... I believe in God, absolutely. I was raised by good people who didn't force religion on my sister and I but made us aware of it. BUT have you ever seen and/or heard the definition of a "God-Fearing Woman"? It just strikes me as such an antiquated term. Maybe it's just me? But I have some issues with the term. #1 - I will NOT, absolutely not obey my husband. It ain't happening. We're in an equal partnership and that partnership does not include my obedience. #2 - I absolutely refuse to be ashamed of the fact that I wasn't a virgin on my wedding night. Why should I be considered any less "Christian" because I had sex before marriage? #3 - Why should any woman feel guilty because they're not a "stay-at-home" mom? You do what you have to do to survive and that doesn't mean you think less of God. I have other issues with this but I'm just going stop right there.

3. Why are people so fucking prejudice? It just fucking burns my ass when I run into some narrow minded, prejudice asshole. I swear, they're talking to me and I'm busy thinking, "I must've been absent the day they handed out stupid passes - thank God!!" I get so agitated when people assume that just because someone is a certain ethnicity that they wouldn't understand something. What?!? Because someone is a different ethnicity than you or they have different beliefs than you, that makes them stupid? NO. Man oh man, I have a treasure trove of issues with prejudice. There was a discussion earlier today about 'American Idol' tonight and someone said, "I'm glad that Anwar was voted off last week. I heard he's gay and I just couldn't look at him the same after I heard that." I had to literally bite my tongue to keep myself from smacking that person silly. I said, "Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait a minute, let me get this straight... because you heard that Anwar is gay, you can't look at him the same way anymore? Why the fuck not? Does knowing he's gay mean he can't sing as well as he did before you knew?" Come on... was she serious? Hell, maybe it's me? Maybe I'm just too liberal and I'm working off some seriously twisted set of values but if that's the case then I'll be damned if I'll untwist myself.

Okay, enough of that, now I've got my dander up. On a happier note, health wise, I feel halfway decent today. YAY.

Well, that's about it for me, I've blabbed enough for one day. Do your eyes hurt? Sorry...

2 Comments:

At Wed Apr 27, 08:06:00 AM, Blogger Angie said...

My cousin (sister) is gay and I think I've had the best times with them. I could give a flying fuck whether someone's gay or not. I walk into a gay bar with my cousin and a group of her friends and I'm usually the one that gets hit on the most.

I do still get worked up about closed minded people, but then I sit back, shut my mouth and let them make asses of themselves. It's pretty funny sometimes. They put their absolute ignorance out there and show the poeple around them just how small minded they really are.

Angie

 
At Wed Apr 27, 08:37:00 AM, Blogger Angie said...

Jason,
Ah yes, Karma can be a beautiful thing!

And you’re right, I shouldn’t sweat people’s ignorance but doggonnit sometimes I just can’t help it. I swear, I used to completely tune certain people out because it was easier than being subjected to their asinine views on things but lately I’ve been having a problem with my tuner. I’m getting full reception.

I don’t really have any friends, when I got married all of my friends went poof. “Now I see you, now I don’t...” kind of thing but back in the day I had this friend April, she was an awesome person. I used to hang out with her and her girlfriend Jenny all the time. I absolutely adored them. They were so honest and open about everything and honesty, in my opinion, is a rare and beautiful thing.

I’m going to quit now before I write a full length novel :)

Thanks Jason, you ROCK ;)

Ang,
Ooo, you slipped in on me :)

I've never been to a gay bar, hell, I think the last time I went to a bar period I was 21. This could be my lack of friends. I need to find me some friends. Although, I'm pretty sure that Drew doesn't like it when I have physical friends because then that would mean I might actually want to do stuff. Oh well. I'm going to have to come up to MN and visit you someday so we can get into trouble together. A stalkin' we will go (hee hee... I'm just kidding *snorts*)

<3 Aimee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home