The Twisted Minds of Aimee and Angie

We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us something is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the human spirit. - EE Cummings

Monday, April 18, 2005

Aimee's Entry - Accepting Fate is a Hard Pill to Swallow.

I feel icky today. I'm depressed, my "happy" place has faded out and I'm feeling rather morbid. So, I'll apologize now for the down note on this entry but I have to vent.

I do believe that I'm getting ANOTHER cold. And this will make cold number 3 since the beginning of March. If my mother finds out, it'll mean, more antibiotics pushed on me, more trips to the immunologist, more poking, more prodding. I hate it.

I think I've mentioned before that I have a Primary Immune Disease, commonly called CVID (Commom Variable Immune Defieciency). The version of CVID that I have is called Hypogammaglobulinemia. It's a tongue twister and, quite frankly, I've grown to detest the word immensely but at the same time, it's a word that I HAVE to accept because it affects me in so many ways, from the way I live my life to the way my loved ones live their lives. Take the flu vaccination, for instance. There was a shortage this year, so, they were offering something called "Flu-Mist", which was like a simulation of the live virus. Well, I can't have "Flu-Mist", nor, can I come in contact with anyone who has had it, so, no one in my family was allowed to get it either. Same thing with the Smallpox vaccination. That's not fair to them, is it? But because they love me, they do what needs to be done for ME. While I'm grateful, I hate that they have to make sacrifices in their live because of a disease that dictates mine.

I'm having "acceptance" issues again but I can't seem to help it. I know that I need to stop bitching and moaning over something that is and will be a part of my life forever.

"We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses." - Carl Gustav Jung

And I know that this sounds whiny and ungrateful but, dammit, I hate being sick and I hate the fact that having this illness plays havoc with my emotions. I hate that at times it makes me feel weak because I hate admitting weakness in any way, shape or form. I wrote this poem a while back and it pretty much sums up how I'm feeling today.

Life throws some curveballs, that much I've learned

I've had to work so damn hard for all that I've earned
And sometimes it just seems like it'll never be enough
I want to say FUCK IT, I just ain't that tough
I have to fight with this illness every damn day
I want to scream 'Why the fuck won't you just go AWAY'
See sometimes it's fine, that shit don't even phase me
But days like today I just know eventually it's gonna break me
I hate to admit weakness but sometimes I cry
On those desolate days I can't find a good reason why
Why I was the one granted this fucking disease
Was there something I did to make it choose me?
I have learned now to accept it as something I can't change
But I am only human damnit sometimes I feel pain
So I wrote this little poem here to exorcise my demons
Because it's eating me up, all these fucked up emotions
Sorry for the rant, I certainly didn't mean to bend your ear
But sometimes no matter how hard I try I just can't escape this fear...

Lord, I sound so selfish and ungrateful. There are worse things I could have - SCIDS, AIDS, Cancer. I need to stop being so self-absorbed. And I really need to stop focusing on the negative and start focusing on the positive things in my life.

1 Comments:

At Wed Apr 20, 09:41:00 AM, Blogger Angie said...

Thank you Jason for your kind words and for understaning my need to just let loose sometimes.

I don't know much about Cystic Fibrosis but, I think that having any kind of illness can be disheartening to all the people involved, from the person who has the disease to the people who love them. It can be a rough rough road but the love of family and friends can be miraculously settling. Thank you for sharing your experience with me and I'm sincerely sorry about your sister.

I've never really liked discussing it and for many years, I didn't discuss it at all because I had some bad experiences with people who said carelessly stupid and insulting things or treated me as if I was going to pass along the dreaded "immune deficiency" to them by simply being in the same room. People like that bother me. But keeping it bottled was like a ticking time bomb just waiting to detonate. So, I got involved with the Immune Deficiency Foundation and they convinced me that discussing it with people and making them aware was a good thing. So, I'm a lot more open about it now.

Thanks again for all that you said, you have no idea how much it actually helps. And I'm sorry for getting long winded here, it's a bad habit of mine.

Xo,
Aimee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home