The Twisted Minds of Aimee and Angie

We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us something is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the human spirit. - EE Cummings

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Aimee's Entry - Out of the Mouths of Babes...

You know that saying, “Kids say the darndest things…”? Truer words have never been spoken. Cameron (my son) is 5 years old and he’s a gabber, he likes to talk - A LOT (he probably gets that from me and well, all those other crazy kids in preschool, of course). But some of the things that come out of his mouth just floor me.

Like this morning, it was about 6:30 and I was being my usual cranky self (I’m not a morning person). Plus, I was running late so it was basically smash and grab around here. Well, I pulled some gray cotton shorts with yellow trim out of his drawer and dug around looking for a t-shirt, finally found one - a nice bright yellow one, clothes in hand I turned around to get the little monster dressed.

He looked at the outfit then looked up at me with a disgruntled look and said, “Mom, that yellow does NOT match with that yellow.”

I snorted and said, “What are you? The fashion police?”

Well, he let me dress him in the mismatching yellows (I know, I know - I should be ashamed but I was in a hurry). So we pile into the car for the ride to school and out of nowhere comes the Darth Vader conversation. My brave and fearless son is scared of nothing (yeah right) and he (at 5) was explaining to me that he thinks I should let him watch all the Star Wars movies. I disagreed, I told him that when I was a little girl, I used to be afraid of Darth Vader so, I thought maybe he should wait until he’s a bit older and my sweet, loving child pipes in from the back seat, “Sissy.”

Oh. My. God. He called me a sissy. The little smartass.

And last but not least, on the way home from school Cameron decided to change from the cute, funny mood of the morning and cross over into rough seas, he might as well have knocked me over the head with a sledgehammer.

He blurted out, “Hailey doesn’t have a mom, only a dad and that’s not cool. Kyle and I told her, ‘Ha, ha - we have a mom and you don’t.’”

I about rear ended someone, I said, “Cameron, that wasn’t nice. You and your friends shouldn’t say things like that to Hailey.”

He innocently replied, “Why? It's true. She doesn’t have a mom. If I didn’t have a dad I couldn’t play video games and that wouldn’t be cool.”

Well, how the hell was I supposed to answer that? How are you supposed to have a talk about the concept of ‘single parenthood’ with a five year old. Through luck and a lot of hedging, I managed to navigate my way through it without having to get technical but I was sweating for a second there. God, just wait until we have to have the sex talk? Even if it's 10 years down the road, I'll probably go into a panic.

Oh, I almost forgot - today at work, I felt so loved. They had flowers delivered, I got two cards signed by everybody and they bought me lunch. How sweet. *Sighs*

Ok, I'm done babbling. Night y'all.

2 Comments:

At Wed Apr 27, 09:58:00 PM, Blogger Angie said...

i love the fact that he didn't like the non-matching yellows!

That was pretty darn cute :)

has he apologised to hailey about what he said?

No, not yet :(

I'm going to make him apologize tomorrow. I was so upset that he said that because it had to hurt Hailey and she is the sweetest child but at the same time, I understand that he didn't know any better, it was a tough one for me. But I'll make sure he makes it right tomorrow.

 
At Wed Nov 15, 03:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on!
eyeglass hinge screws protonix pain Eyewear store de magnetic clip on eyeglasses Homemade hair skin and nail care Eyeglasses.com for eyewear Acer al1916asd lcd monitor 19 47-22-135 eyeglasses http://proactiv-solution.freehosting.net/Cosmetics-by-proactiv.html Eyeglasses okc area transitions

 

Post a Comment

<< Home