The Twisted Minds of Aimee and Angie

We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us something is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the human spirit. - EE Cummings

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Aimee's Entry - The Kindergarten Blues...

Alright, I expect everyone to address me as 'Mrs. Wingfield' from here on out. Since I feel like I'm supervising a bunch of rowdy high schoolers, I might as well be addressed properly, eh?

Sigh.


I walked in the back to put my water in the refridgerator this morning and there's a fucking combination lock screwed into the freezer. I stroll on over and there are two post-it notes stuck to the fridge...

#1... No more free food assholes.

and

#2... Ha Ha. No more free food assholes and that food you stole had ass on it.

Gotta love these guys, eh? But personally, I would've been a bit more creative but, meh, that's me.

Anyhow, it's been a trying week for me and my baby. He's having a bit of trouble adjusting to kindergarten and I think it hurts me just as much as it hurts him. It's been rough.

Day 1 was bad. Cameron's teacher told me that he had a breakdown in the cafeteria because he got freaked out in the lunch line. They made him to do everything all by his lonely, you know... get the the tray, choose what he wants to eat, pay and carry it to the table. He's not used to doing that and I guess they won't help them because they need to learn to be independent. But God, he's so little. She said he cried for his mommy for a long time. It broke my heart and I decided that he'll never, ever have to go through the lunch line again if he doesn't want to (which is probably not the right way to handle it but I can't take seeing him upset over something I can fix with a boxed lunch from home).

Day 2 started out bad but according to his teacher, it smoothed out and went well. When you drop kindergarteners off at school, they're not allowed to sit in their classroom hallway like the rest of the grades. They have to go to the cafeteria and wait until the first bell rings. Well, the cafeteria was obnoxious when we walked through it yesterday morning. They have breakfast and there were kids running all over the place. It freaked Cameron out because there were too many people and they don't have a specific place that the kindergarteners sit, it's just sit where ever the hell you can find a seat. He started crying and told me that he was going to get lost and then no one would help him. It was awful and I know I'm too soft-hearted sometimes but I went and sat in the hallway outside his classroom with him until the bell rang which made me an hour late for work, sigh, but what else was I supposed to do?

Day 3... My father doesn't work so I pleaded my case and he offered to take Cameron to school for me in the mornings. Thank you God because I was an hour and a half late on Monday and an hour late on Tuesday. The people I work for are wonderful to me because they love me but I don't like abusing their understanding and love, you know? Well, my dad called at 9 and said that everything went perfectly. No problems. YAY. So, we're getting there.

Keep your fingers crossed that tomorrow goes as smoothly.

3 Comments:

At Wed Aug 10, 02:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw poor baby. You're not too softhearted I think you're perfectly normal. Cam will adjust to kindergarten soon, trust me.

Love,
Tine

 
At Thu Aug 11, 02:23:00 AM, Blogger grave_creek said...

awwww....i know..it always breaks my heart to see the parents leaving their children for the first few days of school...but what do you want?? thats life right??...i think what jason said in the comment above is really true and hes just much more experienced in the whole school thing anyway,so cheers to him!!yay!!

 
At Thu Aug 11, 10:07:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hope things went well this morning.

i'm sure cam will pull through. the amazing thing about kids is that they can adapt pretty quickly. this rough patch at the beginning happens to all of us.

to hear my mom tell it, i was the most spoiled kid when i was in kindergarten. actually, to hear my mom tell it, i'm STILL the most spoiled kid, but i digress.

when i was little and still lived in the philippines, i used to go to a private school. because i lived so far away, my mom used to hire a private bus company to take me to school everyday. apparently, i used to insist that i be the last person to be picked up from home and the first person to be dropped off at the end of the day, no matter that it made for an inconvenient bus route. i've also been told that the bus driver used to bring me food to keep me quiet, otherwise, i would get all antsy and cry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home