The Twisted Minds of Aimee and Angie

We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us something is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the human spirit. - EE Cummings

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Aimee's Entry - The Color Purple...

Well, let’s see… my immunologist has me on Augmentin (1000 mgs for 10 days, 875 mgs for another 21 days), Singulair, Advair and Albuterol. If all of that doesn’t have me running around like I’m jacked up on speed, I don’t know what will. Oh well. Drugs are aplenty ‘round these parts.

You know, sometimes I wonder how in the hell my parents managed to stay together for as long as they did. It’s baffling. You see, my papaw (my dad’s father) wants to go home - back to Kentucky, not to live, just to visit. He’s getting old, he’s had three bouts with cancer and I think he just wants to see his home and some of his kin again before he leaves the world. I’d want the same thing. But my dad says that they can’t do it because they can’t afford to fly and they have unreliable transportation. I’d make the 16+ hour drive with them myself if I could but there‘s no way I could get the time off I‘d need from work. I‘ve had to use a good majority of my vacation days for my infusions and the last couple days that I have left, I‘ve already requested off for my birthday trip. So, needless to say, my mom is pissed off at my dad - BIG TIME. I had to listen to the complete and uncensored list of his faults the other day. I won’t list them all here because it’ll probably give you a headache but the crux of her anger lies in one very damning fault. My dad doesn’t work. He hasn’t worked in six years. His excuse is that he has to take care of my grandparents and while I understand that, I also think that it would be a good idea if he got himself a part time job at night to bring in some extra income instead of depending solely on my grandparents social security. I mean he is here 5 out of 7 night EVERY week so, a part time job is certainly possible. But he won’t do it and now my mom is outraged that he’d deny my papaw a chance to go back to Kentucky before he dies. Sighs. It’s a no-win situation.

Now, on to the color purple…

Yesterday, Cameron and I were eating dinner at McDonald’s after my immunologist appointment and Cameron was a bit peeved about something so I asked him what was up? Well, he was a little pissed off and somewhat confused because one of the little boys in his preschool class called him a girl. Do you know why? Because Cameron’s favorite color is purple. And you can’t be a “real” boy and like purple. Oh no, that’s a “girl” color. SIGHS. I must’ve slept through that lecture in school when they explained how the fucking color chart separates the genders. Silly me.

I don’t understand why parents feel the need to push their ignorant views on their children? Because the ignorant views that some people pummel their children with end up running off onto my child and that annoys the hell out of me. I mean, at 5 years old, that kid had to hear that kind of idiocy at home. What? Is his dad at home beating his chest while inciting the “real boy” pledge? It just irks me that I had to explain to my son that it was perfectly okay for him to like purple or any other damn color he wants to like, for that matter.

And now that I think about it, my favorite color is green. Does that make me a boy?

A Note To Parents: Let your children like whatever they want to like. If your little boy likes pink and your little girl likes blue, then so be it. Children should be free to express themselves through colors and sounds and just everything. Repressing them by forcing your views on them does more harm than good. Color is only a small thing but from small things, larger things breed. Think about it.

Well, I think that about does it. Night.

3 Comments:

At Wed May 04, 02:30:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of the things children attach themselves to are really out there and adorable. For years, my son had declared he was going to be a punkrock lesbian; later it was a rogue demon hunter--not just any old demon hunter but a rogue one.

I agree, just let them like what they want to like. Let 'em be as long as they're safe, right?

 
At Wed May 04, 08:09:00 AM, Blogger 'drew said...

There are way too many stereotypes out there in this world. Kids should like whatever colour they like, be whoever they want to be and I think it is only through this that they can reach their full potential. If I become a parent, I would want my child to be whoever they want to be as long as they don't hurt anyone else.

As a side note, purple is one of my least favourite colours I don't have anything purple that is of my own choice...except a tie which goes with my pink shirt, which btw I wore to my faculty dinner tonight. :P

Oh and Cameron is CUTE...he'll make great eye-candy when he grows up...Disclaimer: I'm not a pedophile... ;)

 
At Wed May 04, 08:25:00 AM, Blogger Angie said...

Evan - Being a punkrock lesbian sounds like it'd be a blast!! And a rogue demon hunter, eh? That sounds mysteriously sexy to me. Your son sounds adorible :)

My son changes his future occupation daily. I have trouble keeping up with him. He had a thing for this tiara I have for a while - LOL. It was so darn cute when he finally worked up the nerve to ask me if he could try it on.

And yes, I absolutely agree with you! Let 'em be as long as they're safe.

Drew - I hope you're feeling better darling. I've been thinking about you!

I agree with you on the prescense of entirely too many stereotypes, it's extremely annoying at times! Gets under my skin. And you hit the nail on the head, you have to let them be, like, feel whatever they want or they will never reach their full potential.

Purple tie and pink shirt, eh? That actually sounds incredibly sexy. Rock on Drew ;)

And thank you :) I agree, he's going to make delectably yummy eye candy when he gets older (and I'm not bias - of course).

Xo,
Aimee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home