The Twisted Minds of Aimee and Angie

We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us something is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the human spirit. - EE Cummings

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Sick, tired and bored -- Aimee 1999 through 2004...

It's a nasty, icky, rainy day, I feel like hell and the news depresses me so I pulled out my old calendars that I keep for referencing back to certain events that I need or want to remember for one reason or another. I started in January 1999 and worked my way through to December 2004. Anyway, here's a bunch of boring memories, highlights, etc. of my life that I'm sure you could care less about....

~ February 14, 1999 -- Drew and I got engaged.
~ May 10, 1999 -- My first OB appointment to confirm that I was indeed pregnant. My due date was December 26, 1999.
~ June 14, 1999 -- My first sonogram.
~ June 25, 1999 -- The closing on our condo (our first home together).
~ June 27, 1999 -- The day we were officially married.
~ August 16, 1999 -- My second sonogram.
~ October 24, 1999 -- My baby shower.
~ December 4, 1999 -- Drew and I bought our first Christmas tree together.
~ December 6, 1999 -- My water started leaking.
~ December 7, 1999 -- Went to the hospital because my water started leaking really bad and was sent home by a nasty, mean, wicked nurse who treated me like I was too stupid to realize that my water wasn't leaking (it was).
~ December 8, 1999 -- My labor had to be induced at 6 PM because my water broke (DUH -- I'd been telling them this for 3 days). Cameron was born at 10:07 PM weighing in at 6 lbs., 11 oz., 19 in. There was no Apgar scoring done because they had an emergency in another L/D suite and they left my poor baby to fend for himself in the warming bed. My mom is an M/A and she recognized that something wasn't right about the way Cameron was breathing so she pitched a fit until someone came over to attend to him. He was doing something they later called "singing" due to the fluid trapped in his lungs and the NICU doctor had to be called down to examine him. The NICU doctor gently informed me that Cameron was in bad shape and that they'd have to take him to NICU for observation. They admitted Cameron to NICU for underdeveloped lungs, pneumonia and he had a hole in his heart that hadn't fully closed because he was premature. They would not allow me to touch or hold him.
~ December 9, 1999 -- They put Cameron on a ventilator and told me that if he didn't start fighting the chances of him making it through seriously declined.
~ December 10, 1999 -- I was released from the hospital and they had to restrain Cameron by tying him down because he kept pulling out the ventilator tube. He wasn't doing any better and they started giving him vitamin supplements through an IV on the top of his head.
~ December 11, 1999 -- My mother-in-law cornered me in the NICU waiting room about my lack of emotion. You see, up to that point, I'd been keeping my pain to myself, it was locked up tight and I was fighting it back something fierce. I absolutely refused to break down and I suppose that my lack of emotion gave the impression that I didn't care. God, that was so far from the truth. I cared. I cared so much it was eating me alive inside but they kept telling me that even though I wasn't allowed to have any actual physical contact with Cameron I had to try and be positive when I was allowed to sit with him because any negativity would be bad for him. So I numbed myself to the pain and put on my happy face for him.
~ December 13, 1999 -- Cameron started to make a turn for the better.
~ December 14, 1999 -- They moved Cameron to a regular incubator and for the first time, I was allowed to hold him.
~ December 15, 1999 -- They let me feed him and change his diaper for the first time.
~ December 17, 1999 -- Cameron was circumcised.
~ December 18, 1999 -- Cameron was released from NICU. We were finally able to bring our baby home.
~ January 24, 2000 -- My maternity leave was up and I had to go back to work.
~ April 9, 2000 -- Even though Drew and I had been married since June, this was actually our wedding day. We got married on the garden terrace at Crystal Lake Country Club in front of 100+ of our friends and family. The ceremony was followed by a reception in the ballroom overlooking the garden. It was a really lovely day.
~ April 10 through 15, 1999 -- Our honeymoon. We went to Magic Kingdom, MGM Studios, Islands of Adventure and Sea World.
~ July 26, 2000 -- Drew ran my 1998 Toyota Corolla into a cement light pole. He was okay but the car well, it was a total loss.
~ August 1, 2000 -- Saw Eminem in concert for the first time.
~ October 31, 2000 -- Cut my leg taking out the trash and had to have stitches (as well as go to wound therapy for over a month to heal the damn thing).
~ November 29, 2000 -- We sold our condo.
~ December 3, 2000 -- Cameron's 1st birthday party and because of the size of Drew's family, there were 72 people there (talk about a headache and a half).
~ July 2, 2001 -- Cameron's first day of preschool (he'd previously been watched by his Tia Loida and Abuela Mara but his doctor said that it was nice that he spoke Spanish fluently but it was important that he learn to speak English so we put him in preschool).
~ July 6, 2001 -- Cameron's first trip to the emergency room. He had an ear infection.
~ September 28, 2001 -- Closing on our duplex (our second home together).
~ November 18, 2001 -- Cameron's 2nd trip to the emergency room. He had a bug bite on his knee that got infected and they were concerned about Osteomyelitis so they admitted him and started him on IV antibiotics.
~ November 19, 2001 -- Cameron was discharged from the hospital after his 4th dose of antibiotics was finished.
~ December 7-9, 2001 -- Took Cameron to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party at the Magic Kingdom and Islands of Adventure at Universal Studio's for his 2nd birthday.
~ January 18, 2002 -- Cameron had to have surgery to remove scar tissue that formed underneath the skin after his circumcision.
~ April 1, 2002 -- Started to potty train Cameron.
~ April 15, 2002 -- Met Nora Roberts at a book signing for Three Fates.
~ May 19, 2002 -- X-Files series finale (*sniffle* it done broke my heart).
~ July 27, 2002 -- Bought my '02 Ford Explorer.
~ December 8, 2002 -- Cameron's 3rd birthday party.
~ February 5, 2003 -- Christie found out she was preggers. YAY.
~ March 1, 2003 -- Started setting up my yard, my pool area and the inside of my house for Christie and Chris's wedding (this was a pain in the ass, BTW but it turned out beautiful so it was worth all the work we put into it).
~ March 2, 2003 -- I married Christie and Chris in my yard underneath a beautiful garden arch that my mother-in-law spent hours weaving tulle, white lights, roses and baby's breath through (LOL). The ceremony was followed by a reception that was centrally located on my porch but traveled into my house and out into the yard (where I busted my ass the night before setting up a dance floor made of golf carpet that was lined with globe lights (that were a bitch to find because it wasn't Christmas) and covered with sparkly bride and groom confetti (it looked pretty, if I do say so myself -- LOL).
~ May 24, 2003 -- Tore my plantar fascia and had to go to the ER (that hurts like hell, BTW).
~ May 26, 2003 -- Dr. Clendenning fitted me with an obnoxiously ugly boot, gave me a cortocosterioid injection in my heel (ouch) and prescribed Ambien to help me sleep in an effort to help heal my torn plantar fascia.
~ June 29, 2003 -- My mom and I hosted Christie's baby shower.
~ September 19, 2003 -- Christie's daughter Sarah was delivered through C-section at 10:00 AM.
~ December 7, 2003 -- Cameron's 4th birthday party.
~ March 19, 2004 -- I had to have a mammogram because of a suspicious area in my left breast.
~ April 9, 2004 -- I had to have a breast ultrasound because the mammogram was inconclusive.
~ June 1, 2004 -- I had a needle guided ultrasound to aspirate, biopsy and remove the cyst from my left breast (that's done while you are fully awake and it's quite painful).
~ June 19-21, 2004 -- We (Aimee, Drew, Cameron, Mom, Robin, Christie, Chris, Sarah and Kelly (my other sister) -- just one big happy family) all went to the Magic Kingdom and MGM Studios.
~ September 19, 2004 -- Sarah's 1st birthday party.
~ October 8, 2004 -- Drew and I moved into the townhouse that we currently live in (we're renting for the first time).
~ October 11, 2004 -- Drew and I sold our duplex.
~ October 22-25, 2004 -- My mom and I took Cameron to Georgia (by car) for a family retreat with the Immune Deficiency Foundation. That was Cameron's first time traveling out of the state of Florida.
~ December 11, 2004 -- Cameron's 5th birthday party.

And you all have been with me for most of 2005 so there's really no need to recount all that fun stuff.

So, that's it. Now tell me, who's slipped into a coma from that boring recitation of the last 6 years of my life? It's okay, I nodded off a couple times myself.

Oh and before I scoot on out of here, I just have to say that some people's attitudes disgust me. Whether you were in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida or any other area that Hurricane Katrina affected then my heart aches for you and yours. It's not a pissing contest for pity's sake. Why people feel the need to down talk those whose areas weren't hit as hard is beyond me. This isn't a, "Mine is bigger than yours" contest. Sigh. We should show our love and support for everyone who was affected by Katrina. I know this is out of left field but I just read a bunch of comments on an AOL site where people were jumping all over this man because he shared a photo that he took near his home during Katrina and others felt that he had nerve insinuating that his situation was near the tradgedy that New Orleans is facing. He didn't and he wasn't, he was just sharing a photo -- nothing more, nothing less.

1 Comments:

At Fri Sep 02, 04:00:00 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Although most times I don't understand why, I agree.

Xo,
Aimee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home